Calgary, Canada | Save millions of dollars
“It is our practice to evaluate the effectiveness of our system and compare the systems actual water use. We have found that the Motorola system achieves a conservative 45% reduction in water consumption compared to our baseline irrigation water budget calculations. In fact, we have sites that experience as much as a 75% reduction in water use related to the system’s ability to adjust the amount of water being applied….”
Denis K Gourdeau, Water Management Coordinator, Resource Management - Parks, the City of Calgary
- The water control and monitoring solution had to include over 1,000 parks and landscaped areas,
including a number of LEED certified buildings.
Target & Challenges
- The solution had to allow for remote monitoring and control, providing real-time information to a central computer and mobile devices. Close monitoring of system activity would allow for quickly identifying failures or disruptions that cause water leakage.
Over time, the customer wanted to track expected versus actual water use in each of the automatically irrigated areas. In addition, the system was expected to be expanded to include non-irrigation functions, such as control of sporting ground lighting.
City of Calgary, CANADA
- 1,059 parks and landscaped areas, including several buildings at a fire department training center
- There are more than 1,500 IRRInet controllers in the field, with new ones going in every week
Number of managed sites:
More than 1500
Number of managed elements:
Management & Control Center: ICC & IMS
The Mottech Solution:
- Water costs reduction by about $4,000,000 annually
- Approximate saving of $3,100,000 every year in labor, vehicle, and equipment expenses for manually managing city-wide irrigation systems
THE MOTTECH SOLUTION
Calgary boasts the largest and most sophisticated municipal application of the IRRInet system, manufactured by Motorola Inc., using IRRInet Control Center (ICC) software for water management.
The ICC manages the water flow and distribution to 1,059 parks and landscaped areas, including several buildings at a fire department training center. There are currently 1,450 IRRInet controllers in the field, with new ones going in every week, for 15,628 valves.
Using Dell quad-core servers, parks authority operators program and monitor water delivery from one central location. They receive reports of water consumption and accumulation from each valve, as well as alerts of abnormal events such as low flow, high flow, no flow, or a burst main line.
Throughout the parks and the landscaped sites, the city installed the following irrigation controllers:
• IRRInet ACE
• IRRInet XM
• IRRInet M
• Piccolo XR
All the Motorola controllers communicate via a network of low- and high-power UHF frequencies, high-power 800MHz frequency, and eight nodes of GPRS modems linked through the wireless provider.
RESULTS AND BENEFITS
With the Mottech solution in place, the City of Calgary Parks Department has reduced its water costs by about $4,000,000 annually. The customer also saves approximately $3,100,000 every year in labor, vehicle, and equipment expenses for manually managing city-wide irrigation systems.
The IRRInet-ICC solution, with total system control, can be expanded and modified to meet changing municipal needs. And even in the case of infrastructure disruptions, IRRInet’s redundant communication paths ensure increased reliability and system continuity.
Over 1500 managed sites in Calgary
- Water costs reduction by about $4,000,000 annually.
- Approximate saving of $3,100,000 every year in labor, vehicle, and equipment expenses for manually managing city-wide irrigation systems.